We were honored to participate in Shohet Ear Associates’ LISTEN & LEARN webinar series on Wednesday, June 23rd as Dr. Carly Schrage presented “Obstructive Sleep Apnea: Beyond CPAP Therapy”. During her talk, Dr. Schrage, a general otolaryngologist who specializes in one of the most cutting-edge treatments for sleep apnea, shared valuable information during this interactive session.
Highlights of Dr. Schrage’s presentation included:
- How to define and diagnose obstructive sleep apnea
- What causes it and who is more likely to experience obstructive sleep apnea
- What are the health risks if left untreated
- What lifestyle changes and sleeping techniques could help alleviate the condition
- What other treatment options are available such as dental appliances and various surgical options including an implantable nerve stimulator device called Inspire
In addition to the informative session, Dr. Schrage also answered a number of unique questions posed by our listeners including:
- How can side-sleeping reduce symptoms of sleep apnea?
- Which alternatives are available to traditional CPAP mask treatment?
- What are the risks, complications and effectiveness of the Inspire implantable device?
If you would like to watch the webinar or share the session with others, you can access a full recording of the webinar by clicking on the link below.
The recording includes Dr. Schrage’s slide presentation and answers to all of our listener-submitted questions.
Feel free to share the recording with your friends and family and invite them to sign up for any of the LISTEN & LEARN educational webinars!
On Thursday, July 29th, Dr. Jacqueline Bibee from our Audiology team will be joining forces with long-time patient, mentor and cochlear implant advocate, Julie Husting. Their talk, entitled “Is it Time for a Cochlear Implant? A Patient’s Perspective”, will explore both the technical and emotional intricacies of life with a severe to profound hearing loss and discuss how and when a cochlear implant can help.
Whether you currently use a cochlear implant or you or someone you know is considering one, this talk is sure to illuminate things for you! Closed captioning will be available.
Stay tuned…more details coming soon!